Friday, June 28, 2013

Humble Pie

This morning the reading assignment for the online Bible study I am a part of was Matthew 18.1-6.  Our scripture to focus on was Matthew 18.3-4, “Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”  Two things struck me.

The first is that Jesus said that there were two parts to our entering the kingdom of heaven.  First we are to be converted, to go from one belief system to another.  Our minds must be changed.  There is a quote that is so true…

Our thoughts, what we believe, determine our destiny.  No wonder so much is written about the battle for our minds!

The second thing I consider with fresh eyes was becoming like a child.  I have often heard of this as referencing how we receive Christ, with child-like faith.  But I don’t think that is a true perception, or at least not all that Jesus is talking about.  We are to be converted, when our belief system changes, we are incredibly imperfect people.  (At least is was – and still am!)  It is the “become” that brings me hope.  I didn’t have to be humble as a child, didn’t have to have much childlikeness.  I am becoming as a child!  The more that I get to know Jesus, the more I allow his Spirit to work in me, the more I become like a child.  It is a process, a destination.  As I am changed by Truth, my thoughts, my words, my actions, my habits, my very character, become like a child!

The Matthew Henry commentary says, "Many love to hear and speak of privileges and glory, who are willing to pass by the thoughts of work and trouble. Our Lord set a little child before them, solemnly assuring them, that unless they were converted and made like little children, they could not enter his kingdom. Children, when very young, do not desire authority, do not regard outward distinctions, are free from malice, are teachable, and willingly dependent on their parents. It is true that they soon begin to show other dispositions, and other ideas are taught them at an early age; but these are marks of childhood, and render them proper emblems of the lowly minds of true Christians. Surely we need to be daily renewed in the spirit of our minds, that we may become simple and humble, as little children, and willing to be the least of all. Let us daily study this subject, and examine our own spirits".

Humble is often thought of as "not proud", but do we really consider what that looks like? According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary humble is "akin to Greek chthōn earth, chamai on the ground". In other words we need to be down-to-earth, approachable. Jesus certainly was!  And that, my dear readers, is our destiny: to be, as Romans 8.29 puts it, “conformed to the image of his Son”.  To look like Jesus from the inside out!  That is my desire, my hoped destiny.  May my pride, my selfishness, my desires for my rights, all be replaced with godliness - with the character of Christ - that I may have the heart of a child that He desires!



1 comment:

  1. What great thoughts! Thanks - but I'm bummed...I was sure I signed up to get your posts, but haven't, so will subscribe myself all over again. Sure don't want to miss these amazing tidbits that you are so good at sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete