Thursday, October 17, 2013

They Cast Lots


Luke 23.34 But Jesus was saying, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.” And they cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves.

Many have heard of Jesus’ words on the cross - “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.”  But this morning I found it odd to see the sentence that followed in the same verse. 

The Bible was not originally written with chapters and verses; those were added to the writings later to help with reading and studying it.  Luke 23 is filled with lots of information.  As I read it, I felt as though the writer didn't want to miss any of the important details.  So, what compelled those who determined chapters and verses to have these two diametrically different scenes in the same verse?  Could it be that the truth portrayed is greater than at first glance? 

Here is God in the flesh, the Man who came to offer us hope and salvation, asking His Father to forgive the people who were responsible for hanging Him on the cross.  Yet at the moment when great compassion is being expressed, a depth of love unfathomable to us being poured out, there were men close by caught up in what they could get for themselves in the purely physical realm.  They were doing their job; this probably wasn't
 the first person’s clothes they had cast lots for.  But in the midst of pursuing the every day, just trying to take advantage of every break, they missed the reality of the situation before them.  Jesus was being broken for them, even when they could not have cared less.  Broken in His purity to bring cleansing to their filth.


I am so guilty of this, walking through so many days unaware, unthankful, for the gifts I was given at the cost of His life.  Lord God, help me to see this life with eyes wide open, able to see my brokenness and need, but not missing the provision of all I need to live an abundant life, full of peace and joy.  This world I see with my physical eyes is not all there is; help me live a complete life in You. 



1 comment:

  1. Shirley.. i will start one soon to.. because you can do it ..so can i.. motivation...this about verse is a favorite of mine.. the song speaks to my heart every time i hear it.. Bless you my friend..

    ReplyDelete